06 Jul How Long Do Cannabis Edibles Take to Kick in?
Edible items made with cannabis as a primary ingredient may be a good choice if you experience body discomfort, pain, or mood issues. The effects of edibles are different from the cannabis that you smoke.
- Cannabis edibles are treats, drinks, and candies that contain the active ingredients of marijuana. You absorb the effects of CBD or THC by digesting them.
- It takes longer for the effects of edibles to hit your system than it does when you smoke cannabis because it has to go through a digestion process first.
- A high from an edible with THC lasts longer than the effects of vaping or smoking marijuana.
What are Cannabis Edibles?
Cannabis edibles are foods infused with cannabis. These potent items may contain one or both of the active ingredients found in marijuana: cannabidiol (CBD) or tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
CBD and THC have similar chemical makeup, but they do not produce the same psychoactive effects. CBD does not deliver a high. THC binds with cannabinoid receptors in your brain, creating a high.
Edibles come in many different types of edible cannabis products, such as:
- Gummies and chews
- Candies, lozenges, and lollipops
- Baked goods, like cookies and brownies
- Beverages, such as sodas, teas, beer, seltzers, and wine
- Capsules or Tablets
Ingesting edibles is different from smoking marijuana. It creates a more intense high that lasts longer than smoking. However, it does take longer for the effects of edibles to kick in – sometimes taking up to 2 hours. Therefore, it is essential that you consume edibles responsibly to avoid the potential problems that stem from eating too many at once.
Due to the prolonged time frame, some people may make the mistake of eating too many cannabis-infused treats, which can have unpleasant outcomes. If you are new to edibles, it is best to start at a low dose and take it slow to understand how the products alter your body and mind.
How Long Do Edibles Take to Kick In?
Vaping or smoking cannabis hits you almost immediately. It is easy to know how much you have had and when you should stop. Drinking or eating activated cannabis does not hit in the same way. Differences in the delivery of cannabis change the way you absorb it and react to it.
It takes 30 to 60 minutes for edibles to take effect. This time frame is longer than other methods of cannabis consumption because you have to digest the edibles before they reach your bloodstream. When you eat an edible, you will not feel any effects until your body digests it and your liver metabolizes it. This process takes much longer than smoking marijuana but typically has a more substantial impact.
Many factors may change the time of onset, including:
- Type of cannabinoids: Edible products contain either THC, CBD, or both. THC is a psychoactive stimulant that alters your mind. Products with THC have a slower onset time and deliver a high.
- Potency of cannabis: Gummies have different strengths of cannabis extracts; the higher the milligram concentration of CBD or THC kicks – the faster the onset.
- Diet: If you eat high-fat foods before having an edible gummy, it takes longer for the effects to kick in. THC is oil-soluble, making fats bind to the molecule. Your digestive system needs to take extra time breaking down these fatty molecules before the THC hits.
- An empty stomach: Your body processes the THC in an edible much quicker if you take it on an empty stomach, and it may also affect you more. If you do not usually use edibles, it is best if you eat something first.
- Metabolism: After going through your digestive system, the active ingredients move into your bloodstream and travel to your liver. Your liver metabolizes the THC or CBD into 11-hydroxy-THC, then it re-enters your bloodstream and into your cannabinoid receptors in your brain. If you have a fast metabolism, you may feel the effects sooner than someone with a slower metabolism.
- Tolerance: If you are more sensitive to the cannabinoids in edible products, it may take less time to hit you. Some people have a high tolerance to cannabis and feel fewer effects than others.
- Weight: Your height and size can make it take longer for edibles to kick in. If you have a smaller overall mass, edibles may hit you more quickly.
- Your biological sex: Biological differences change how our bodies absorb cannabis. Hormones change the way edibles react with your system. Some forms of estrogen can cause you to absorb more significant amounts of THC.
How Long do Gummies Last?
Typically, the effects of food edibles last much longer than smoking cannabis. When you eat a brownie, cookie, or other edible with THC in it, peak highs occur about two to four hours after eating it. During this peak is when you feel it most intensely. An edible high from food with THC may last from six to eight hours. The dose of CBD or THC and the potency of each determine the length of the effects. The same factors that change when edibles kick in, such as weight, metabolism, and tolerance, also change the lasting impact of the high.
Why Use Edibles?
There are many reasons to choose edibles, including:
- Gummy edibles are easy and convenient to use anywhere.
- They may help with chronic pain, loss of appetite, or anxiety. This option comes in predetermined doses, making it easier to get the dosage you require.
- Edibles are also easier on your lungs than smoking. So, if you have concerns about how smoking cannabis negatively affects your lung health, edibles may be a good alternative for you.
- Plus, most gummy edibles are delicious – tasting like fruit snacks helps provide a more positive experience than other forms, especially for beginners.
Shop Our Large Selection of Edibles
At King’s Crew in Long Beach, CA, we offer a premium shopping experience both in our store and online. We aim to meet all your cannabis needs with a wide selection of the best edible products on the market. We have many products available, including:
- Hard Candy
- Baked Goods
- Capsules and Tablets
You can shop from our website and choose pickup or delivery. Or visit our store to select your edibles in person. With the help of our knowledgeable Crew Members, you can be sure to find the right items for you. Our premium dispensary has many brands, types, and potency levels, to find the best products to fit your purpose. When you browse items on our website, you can filter the results to view only the products that best align with your needs.
King’s Crew is a full-service cannabis dispensary, and our staff values your experience. When you shop with us, our cavalry and crew make sure you get the royal treatment from start to finish. Contact us at (562) 513-5441 to ask questions and learn more about our mission and services. Or, feel free to send us a message with your thoughts and questions.
Featured Image: gallifreyphotography/Shutterstock